Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Cate Blanchett

Name: Catherine Elise Blanchett
Place of Birth: Melbourne, Australia
Height: 5'8" (1.78m)
Marital status: Married to screenwriter Andrew Upton
Maternal status: Cate and Andrew have two sons, Dashiell and Roman.

Biography
Catherine Elise Blanchett was born on the 14th of May, 1969, at the Jessie McPherson Hospital in Melbourne, as the daughter of a Texan navy officer (Robert Blanchett) and a Melbourne schoolteacher (June Blanchett). When her parents met, Robert Blanchett moved to Australia, and got into advertising. As a kid, Cate recalls herself as "part extrovert, part wallflower". When she was ten, Cate and her older brother Bob Blanchett and younger sister Genevieve Blanchett were pulled out of a Melbourne cinema to be told that their father was dead of a heart attack at the age of 40. It's a story she resists talking about, but the loss of her father was deeply mourned. As a child cate dreamt of living in a haunted house, so she might meet her father again. Cate and her brother and sister were raised by her mother June. Cate's brother Bob Blanchett is a computer programmer, and her sister Genevieve is a set designer in the theatre.
Cate graduated from the NIDA in 1992, and began her career on the stage in her final year, playing in Sophocles' Electra. Her first major stage role was opposite Geoffrey Rush in the 1993 David Mamet play Oleanna. She then played in multiple Australian plays, before landing a role in the TV Movie Police Rescue in 1994. She maintained her stage career while playing in TV series such as Heartland, Bordertown and Parklands. She made her filmdebut in Paradise Road, starring Glenn Close and Frances McDormand, as one of a group of women imprisoned by the Japanese in Sumatra in World War 2. Her big break in the film industry was Oscar and Lucinda, which got her the part of Queen Elizabeth I in 'Elizabeth'. The director of 'Elizabeth', Shekhar Kapur, saw Cate on a reel of Oscar and Lucinda which was playing in the office of his casting director and immediately decided upon her for the part.

"Actresses can get outrageously precious about the way they look. That's not what life's about. If you starve yourself to the point where your brain cells shrivel, you will never do good work. And if you're overly conscious of your arms flapping in the wind, how can you look the other actor in the eye to respond to them?" ~one of Cate's most famous quotes.
~~~
I honestly cannot remember how I come to love Cate Blanchett so much. Something must have prompted me to watch Elizabeth. I cannot remember. I must have watched The Talented Mr. Ripley before I watched Elizabeth, but I didn't know that woman is Cate.
So, like falling in love, something happened. And I have loved her since.
Cate Blanchett is more than an actress, an idol to me. She's the person I want to love (though it could be better if she's shorter :p). Her personality. Her beauty. Her refusal to to stick the norm. Her refusal to be a people's actress- to be beautiful and perfect (although she can very well accomplish that). Her ability to stay bounded to earth.

I didn't even watch all the films that she made. [I only watched Elizabeth- 1998, The Talented Mr Ripley- 1999, Bandits- 2001, Charlotte Gray- 2001, The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring- 2001 (and yes.. I watched it because of her 5 minutes appearance), The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers- 2002, Heaven- 2002 (she shaved her head for this movie), Veronica Guerin- 2003, The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King- 2003, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou- 2004] I didn't watch The Aviator (the role that won her the Oscar), because I think watching Leonardo for that three hours will kill me. So I figured Cate will understand. hee..

Her next film release is Little Fish. But i'm really looking forward to her Notes on a Scandal (Cate is Sheba Hart, an Art teacher who has an illicit affair with an underage student.), where she will appear with Judi Dench. Two fine actress. Very excited.

There is a strength I draw from her. And strangely, I do it by watching her movies.
Notably:Charlotte Gray which was watched on my last day of that Summer. And Veronica Guerin, which I watched without anybody's company. There is a stir when I look at Cate Blanchett. Maybe it's because she reminds me of a person that I love. Her personality. Her beauty. Her refusal to to stick the norm. Not pushy but so full of herself.

To end off, I share a quote that I keep very close to my heart.
"If you know you are going to fail, then fail gloriously!"~Cate Blanchett

p.s. I Will Always Love You

Comments:
I loved reading your post about the greatest living actress. I too am a hard core Blanchett fan. I can only encourage you to visit www.cateblanchett.net and sign up for the cate forums.

I just realized, I totally sound like a spammer, don't I? Seriously, we need more good writers in the forum. Tell them Not_Lizzie sent ya! :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?