Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

Where Does The Sense of Self Begins?

The one very thing I love about Thailand people is their sense of self.
Growing up as a Chinese, I usually don't say 'No' because of politeness issues.
So the first time when I offered my colleague something, I was shocked that she declined my offer.

This is one of the most precious lessons I learnt here. We Chinese take some things way too personally.
Not accepting a favour means that I don't like you.
What nonsense. Everything that we see is about ourselves.

Then I thought about how secure someone must be to decline, to refuse, to be the other way of what is expected of you.

Sure, Singapore has more money. But the Thailand people are so much richer than us spiritually.

I think we may have conformed so much to be what we are now that we have lost our sense of self. We are one of the Singaporeans that keeps Singapore moving.
So I'm glad Singapore is trying to slow down and back track our sense of self now. Start now. It's never too late.

When you find a sense of self, you are more accepting.
Thailand has so many cross-dressers on the street. One of the factors, I believe, is that Thailand people believe that anyone has every right to be what they want.
They are more accepting than Singaporeans.

When you find a sense of self, you are more creative.
You are not afraid to wander too far, in case you lose yourself.
Singaporeans need to read and learn more. Start by watching the half an hour news. We can't hide under our patch of sky forever.
I'm grateful for this trip.
I have learnt so much from Tawfiq.
I have learnt so much from my colleagues.
My favourite toilet sign. It's so refreshing. The only toilet sign design I see in SG is the standard one. Oh. And to get this picture taken, 7 people had to stop to wait for me to finish. My first public photo shoot. ha!

So where does the sense of self begins?
Our surroundings, our parents, our friends, our world, our culture, and so many more.
But most importantly, I think, it starts from within.

Yes, this answer seem so base.
So easy.
So obvious that we have moved ahead, like Singapore had. And we have never considered this most important factor at the start.
Don't wait till many years later then try to back track.

Stop now.
And ask yourself.
Do you have your sense of self?
You will be surprised that you don't have an answer for this simple question.
Remember to answer yourself specifically.
You owe yourself that.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Hmm... a very insightful look at ourselves!

I identify strongly about your argument for sense of self. However, another argument is that one should sacrifice our own selfish interests for the sake of the organisation or group's.

My current workplace culture promotes subservience. Meticulous hardwork is often required. Creativity is often relegated to side projects; viewed by many as an unneccessary afterthought.

But still, in a rigid organisation, there will always be people who stand out distinctly. I admire their courage and tenacity. Sadly they become easy fodder for gossip and unkind remarks because they differ from the norms of the group. Worse, some end up blacklisted as troublemakers and slapped with disciplinary warnings.

Man has to adapt to his surroundings. Unfortunately our environs are sometimes occupied with people who have been used to conforming.

The challenge as you said... is to locate our inner beings in our world of forced beliefs and ultimately develop our sense of self in a society that is just beginning to release itself from the shackles of its past glory of indoctrination of the masses.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?