Friday, March 31, 2006

 

30th March 2006 - Damien Rice Live in Singapore

It was 20:31. The seat beside me is still empty.
He didn't say "Hi" or "How's everyone doing?". Damien Rice just walked onto the stage and started to sing. And I thought "That's strrrange"

He sang The Professor.

It isn't my favorite song, but it gave me an inkling that Rice's vocal is steady and the sound system is alright :)

Then immediately after this first song (to which the crowd clapped and cheered as though Damien Rice is some hot butt shaking guy - which he is.. in a geeky and non butt shaking way), he played the chords to Delicate.

Damien Rice didn't come with his band. It was only he and his guitar. No Lisa, no strings, no piano.

After 3 or 4 songs, he finally spoke after singing the lines "I remember it well...". He paused and said "This is quite an ironic song. Because I sang I remember it well, but I can't remember the lyrics"

Then he played a chord which got me really excited. I sat up in anticipation as he kneed on the floor.
"Nothing unusual.. Nothing strange.."
It is Amie. My favorite song.
"Amie come sit on my wall..." I closed my eyes to hear the word "Amie" echo through the theatre. Enough to make my heart break. And I decided that this song made the one hundred dollars well spent.

Someone in the audience shouted "Lonelily!"
And he really sang it. Unplugged from the amplifiers, he sat down and sang.
I never liked Lonelily before. But to hear it last night was wonderful. I guess that's why I never liked it on CD and why Damien Rice had wanted his guitar to be unplugged.

Few songs later, he sang Volcano. For those who knows this song, it is actually sang with Lisa.
I've always like the part where Lisa sings Don't throw yourself like that in front of me
But last night, Damien Rice sang back and forth by himself. So, I closed my eyes and sang Lisa's part in my head as he swings from the male vocals to the female vocals and back again. And suddenly the face of him in make up appeared in my head. It made me laugh. (I'm that strange I know. The people in my head have already accepted me as I am. I won't change for you.)
I've always like the energy of this song.. You give me miles and miles of mountains and I’ll ask for the sea.

I've always told people that I regretted getting Shawn Colvin's DVD. Because the interview shows her personality and it isn't like her in her songs.
But I am glad to see Damien Rice yesterday. I think I will really like him as a person.
Sad. But Happy. And Fun too.
And these aspects show when he sang Childish. A song that reflects his journey as a songwriter. And how he can be a prick sometimes and childish and self-centered most of the time. And I can relate to that because sometimes when you write and work on a piece of work, your attention is only yourself and you really need to skip out of the loop to re-adjust.

"And so it is..."
Everyone cheers.
Of course it is The Blower's Daughter!
And I hated it.
Why is this song he's final song?
I know why. But Why?
hee.
I am never liked this song.
So when he was singing. My mind drifted somewhere else. And I saw Blower's daughter! ha. I'll draw it out soon.
Anyway, back to the song..
When it finally got to before the last line "'til I find somebody new", Damien Rice improvised and sang Radiohead's Creep. He is fun.
And a break from The Blower's Daughter is great for me :p

2 hours.
A great concert.
Oh.. the empty seat beside me was eventually taken by some girl. And I thought God has arranged Damien Rice to come sit there. Maybe there's a great plan that lies ahead for us.
Come back soon, Damien!

Labels:


Comments:
Sounds like a wonderful evening! I luv 2 go 2 concerts!
:)
 
i've always loved aime...cos it makes me feel sad...and i like that feeling...forgotten to ask u about the concert yesterday...tell me more next sat k...
 
Ya I think Damien is good looking. My cup of tea. Hee2.

Your articles made me yearn for a concert. I have never been to a self paid concert. But ya sometimes in life you need to spend some money. Like wat Ailing always say if money can buy you some form of happiness, buy it. Happiness don't always have a price.
 
awesome review! wish i was there...found a site with a couple of photos and a cool review too:

http://www.think.com.my/review.cfm?rev_ID=219
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?