Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 

la discothèque a besoin de vous

The various architectural styles of the temples and the cravings found on the walls are really very unique. For me, the experience is especially special because there are no such great empires found in Singapore. At the back of my mind, I was trying to calculate how long those people a thousand years ago had taken to crave out each and every figure and pattern. And I think no modern technology will be able to create such fine art ever again.

When I was looking at the beautiful temples in Angkor, a french sentence I read the day before struck me: la discothèque a besoin de vous (translates to: the disco needs you).

Allow me to explain. I have always thought of life as a big dance floor. Hence, the reason why I am using the word 'disco'. But for anyone else, 'disco' can be replaced by whatever is more applicable. It can be 'a marathon' or even 'a box of chocolates'.

Also, in french, 'vous' means 'you' but it can also be used to address a group of people.

Some of us believe that to be admired, we must start from within.
Like many will tell me, "No one will love you, unless you know how to love yourself."
I couldn't agree with this more.
I have seen too many people on a never ending diet; or people chasing after the lastest fashion trends blindly.
What we need to understand is that everything starts from inside - your disco needs you.

But then, I thought of the Angkor Wat, the Pyramids and even Marilyn Monroe.
Would all the icons and idols be icons and idols if there are no one to appreciate them?
I doubt so.
We always talk about cause and effect; and how nobody is a lone island.
Behind every idol, there must be an audience.
Hence, come the appropriateness of the sentence: la discothèque a besoin de vous.

We all need to take care of our own oneself but also need other people.
We are all linked to one another.
My decisions affect you, and your actions impact mine.
No one is forsaken, no one is absolutely safe.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?